Thursday, September 23, 2010

Vitamins and Supplements

A decade ago before my first quit (13 points in Scrabble), I found a book called "7 Days to Sobriety". It promised a cure for alcoholism. Color me incredulous. Boil the book down to a chapter and the core of it was that changing your diet and taking their endorsed (and for sale) brand of vitamins/supplements would have you back on your sober feet in 7 weeks.
I found plenty of sound advice and did spend a couple hundred bucks buying their supplements. Then I spent an incredible amount of time portioning out my four times a day pills, taking said pills, buying rice flour bread and expanding my limited cooking skills to include all this odd food.
Oddly - with all my attention diverted to maintaining this new lifestyle, things were easier than expected. 
For subsequent quits and this one - I've drilled down to things that have worked for me. My diet is a bit more healthy - whole grain bread, half caffeine coffee and nearly zero sweets. I swear by the amino acid Glutamine for kicking those cravings. Works every time. I also take a lot of Vitamin C, Vitamin B, multi-vitamins, Calcium-Magnesium, amino acids and Primrose Oil. I've done a lot of bio-chemical and general damage to my body. I'm hoping these will be tools to help the repair. I wish I could find a pill to give me perfect clarity for my absolute inability to drink like normal folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment